Ag Biz Masters is an interactive learning series designed specifically for young and beginning farmers. The two-year program takes a blended learning approach with on-demand and eLearning modules. The class will be a virtual experience with three LIVE sessions to connect with subject matter experts and network with other beginning farmers. You are registered for Year 2 of the course.
The learning objectives of each module are outlined, followed by a module workbook. Additional materials that presenters will use during the course and case studies will be used to apply what you are learning in the class to your farm business. Collectively, the materials should help you grow your confidence and enhance your farm financial management knowledge.
Please access the course syllabus here.
This area will serve as your go-to for course resources to support your Ag Biz experience.
Please enter a valid password to access this page:Wrong password. Try again!
Year 2 LIVE Course Webinar Kick-off: January 18, 2024 from 12:30 – 1:30 PM
- Watch pre-recorded course welcome and Dr. Kohl session, prior to the January 18, 2024 kick-off meeting. Click here to view.
- Dr. Kohl Business IQ
LIVE Class Materials:
Year 2 LIVE Course Webinar Check-in: February 27, 2024 from 12:30 – 1:30 PM
Why are accrual-based financial statements important? Watch the quick 15-minute video, linked below, with guest instructor Rob Goodling. Rob will review the importance of accrual-based financial statements and introduce the Profitable Porkers Case Study. Please come to class prepared by reviewing the Profitable Porkers Case Study prior to February 27, 2024.
- Watch The Importance of Accrual-based Financial Statements Recorded Instruction
- Profitable Porkers Case Study
- Importance of Accrual-based Financial Statements PowerPoint
LIVE Class Materials:
Year 2 LIVE Course Webinar Check-in: March 21, 2024 from 12:30 – 1:30 PM
- Materials will be sent via email and posted by March 14, 2024.
Important Course Information
There will be five multiple-choice tests after each online module. You must achieve an 80% on each exam. You can retake them, if needed.
- Need Help?
For any questions related to the program, please contact Johanna Rohrer at JRohrer@horizonfc.com or call at 717.740.1561.
- How to Access Your Online Modules
You should have received an email with login information for the online module content. Please save this email for future reference. For detailed instructions on how to navigate through Career Café for your modules, turn to the “Navigating Career Café for Ag Biz Masters Participants” instruction linked on your class landing page.
Below are the online module system requirements for Career Cafe, the eLearning system used for Ag Biz Masters.
Browser versions supported:
Internet Explorer IE 8, IE 9, IE 10, IE 11, Firefox 3 and greater, Safari 3 and greater
Browser compatibility and security requirements:
Support for 128 Secured Socket Layer (SSL) encryption
Allow pop-ups System Requirements & Troubleshooting
- How to Access Your LIVE Course Kick-off and Check-ins
WebEx Links for each event will be emailed to you. There will also be a phone-in option if a computer is not readily available. Follow the below steps to join your year’s meetings.
Click the link in your email. You will be prompted to turn your audio and video on. Video is optional.
Press "Join Meeting".
Find your meeting options in the lower bar. You are able to unmute and mute yourself. On the right-hand side, participants can chat with other participants and see who is in their session.
- Year 2 Reimbursement
The Ag Biz Masters program deadline is April 15, 2024. Login now to complete modules 6-10 before the program closes. Please note, once all modules and coinciding tests are complete, you are eligible for a scholarship reimbursement for the full cost of the program!
Horizon Farm Credit will provide scholarship reimbursements in June to participant who have completed all exams in Farm Credit University by April 15, 2024.
- Dr. David M. Kohl
The principal content creator for Ag Biz Planner, energizes agricultural lenders, producers and business persons with his keen insight into the agricultural industry. Dr. Kohl has traveled over 8 million miles in his professional career and conducted over 6,000 work-shops and seminars for a variety of agricultural audiences. His personal involvement with agriculture and interaction with key industry players provide a unique perspective into future trends.
- Alicia Morris
Director of FCU Training for AgFirst and a business associate with AgriVisions, directs the training from her Blacksburg, Virginia location. Alicia manages development of FCU courses and oversees the training on a daily basis. She has worked with FCU since its inception as her Master’s Degree project at Virginia Tech.
- Johanna Rohrer
Member Education & YBS Program Manager at Horizon Farm Credit. She is the program coordinator for Ag Biz Masters that utilizes the Ag Biz Planner module content for participants throughout Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and parts of Virginia and West Virginia. Johanna is the main point of contact for all Ag Biz Masters participants.
Tips and Advice
- Be open-minded. This will open your eyes and make you think critically.
- If at all possible, schedule uninterrupted time to work on the modules and join the live check-ins. Recordings will be offered following each live session.
- Also encourage your spouse or business partners to join the training and completion of the exercises.
- Take your time; the information provided is useful. Definitely go through all of the modules because you will learn something from each one. They each build on the next and end with a comprehensive business plan.
- Do not get frustrated if you do not get every test question correct, use it as a learning experience to go back and review the materials.
- The modules have varied case applications that make you think critically about other agricultural industries so you can be forced out of your "comfort zone", which allows you to make good contacts and learn how to find information, as well as learn something new about your business and yourself.
- Do not be afraid to make suggestions in the course surveys; they will help to improve this training program.